NCCS and Cancer Research
National Cancer Centre Singapore (NCCS)
NCCS plays a pivotal role in the holistic care and multidisciplinary-based treatment of cancer patients as cancer claims 1 in 4 deaths in Singapore.
As the cancer centre for the community, NCCS sees more than 135,000 patient visits each year.Established in 1997, NCCS sees close to 65 per cent of cancer cases in the public-sector.
To deliver among the best in cancer treatment and care, our clinicians work closely with our scientists who conduct robust cutting-edge clinical and translational research programmes which are internationally recognised.
Ample philanthropic support and public understanding is much needed to help usher medical breakthroughs for the benefit of the community.
The NCCS Cancer Fund is established to help support cancer patients in need through programmes that have been developed to improve and advance patient care. These include:
- Financial assistance for patients in need. Through the fund we distribute grants to help with medical investigations and treatments, and support services to help patients cope with a diagnosis and treatment.
- NCCS’ Cancer Helpline, which responds to over 4,500 enquiries per year. Our trained Nurse Counsellors listen to patient’s concerns, providing information and support that can help patients cope. This vital service is a lifeline for patients and their caregivers.
- Wig bank, over the past 19 years the Wig Bank has been loaning wigs to patients to help them regain their confidence, and feel more like themselves during their treatment and beyond. “The transformation was out of this world. One minute I had no hair, and then I had. The wig made such a huge difference.”
- Educational programmes and publications, including workshops and pamphlets for patients and caregivers. We also run roadshows and awareness activities, reaching over 100,000 people each year. Our printed and online Cancer Publications are provided free to anyone who needs them.
- Education and training for medical, nursing and paramedical professionals. We cover a full range of cancer-related subjects including cancer prevention and treatment, in order to help raise awareness and improve patient care.
- Enhanced patient care through improved facilities, equipment and infrastructure. In addition, our teams of dedicated volunteers knitted over 1,000 hats last year to help keep patients’ heads warm during treatment and beyond, and gave out hot high-nutrition drinks and encouragement to almost 500 patients a week.
NCCS Cancer Fund is managed by SingHealth Fund (SHF), an institution of Public Character (UEN 201624016E).
Visit NCCS website for more information about NCCS Cancer Fund.
For Fund Enquiries: